Sunday 7 October 2012

Edit workshop evaluation

CRITERIA : * Rule of thirds During my edit workshop experience I was ordered to work under a specific scenario. This scenario being for a character or more to walk down a corridor and then open a door to a room in which another character will be in. They both were asked to make a conversaton. Unfortunately the work was not as easy as this , I had to apply to a certain media language criteria in order to make the work look more better. Therefore this is my first criteria example i will be showing (rule of thirds);
In order for the rule of thirds to work in my piece i had to ensure that the eyes on the camera had to be a third into the screen. This action had to be consistent therefore any other chacacter that acted in my scene had their eyes fixed on to the one third spot of the screen. I had made this act consistent in order for the clip to appeal more towards the audience. * Shot reverse shot Another shot i directed in order for my clip to look better was a criteria which consists of potraying a shot from one persons view then immideately shooting another shot from the other persons point of view. The picture below potrays my version of the shot reverse shot embedded into my edit workshop clip ;
* Match on action Finally my last example of another shot i used in my clip was when i filmed the door getting open from one side and potraying from the other side aswell. Luckily actions speak louder than words therefore here is how i demonstrated Match on action ;
During filming i faced a few challenges such as applying the rule of the thirds onto every character , it was a very long process however in the end it did turn out more successful then i had predicted. If i was to film again i would have adjusted the time spent on the film , due to the fact that it may have come across as boring or too long. Also i may have changed the main actor in order to gain more seriousness about the clip. Whilst editing my clip i felt that gathering the most relevant scenes out of all of my clips to fit with my storyboard was the most difficult and time consuming process of post-production. After saying this i would have changed some of the clips i had chosen and would have used more discrete clips of the boss . Aswell as this i would have made the time-frame of the clips more shorter and changed the music to fit the genre of the clip better. In my view the overall strengths of my work was the idea itself , because i believe that in order to show most of my criteria this would be the most interesting and entertaining way to show the criteria. This infact was a unique idea which i have not come across in an edit workshop clip therefore it gave me the extra urge to push for this idea. One visual picture of me strength of the work would be the rule of the thirds , although i had not coped well eventually i had got the hang of filming in order to match this rule .
The weakness in my clip which is very easy to spot would be the digital techonolgy aspect of the edit workshop clip. By this i mean the sound effects , transitions and digital techonology. Aswell as the comments made by the actors , i could have made it commanding from the boss and less assertive from the main person. As you can see by the picture(below), the actor did not act serious enough in his role. His role was discovered by myself using the storyboard and the whole theme is interrogation and the body language of the main character does not look as if he is in hostage or is getting interogated.














The overall improvements i would have made to my work would be the digital technology as potrayed in a picture (above) , also i would include the post production in this by using more suitable music such as a melody i had found on youtube ;
 
Aswell as this i would have changed this particular shot , which is potraying match on action ;
 

In order to make this better i would have zoomed in more to show at what point the door was and then it would look more realistic and more appealing towards the audience.
 
Finally i would change the shot reverse shot used ;
 
This is because this does not give the feel of any interogation therefore to make it even more intimidating i would have used a facial feature of the other character instead of only the chair. I figured that using an eye instead of a chair is better for this genre ;
The final piece of my edited shot reverse shot will therefore look like this :
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment